VOLUNTEER SERVICES MANAGER
Contract Position: May – July 2017
Deadline to apply April 27 at 4pm AST
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Volunteer Services Manager is primarily responsible for recruiting, training, managing and supporting volunteers with the Festival and related projects and events. More specifically, the Volunteer Coordinator, working under the direction of the Executive Director and the Board and in partnership with other Festival staff and coordinators, will provide leadership, support and services for a successful festival and volunteer experience.
· Review and develop a needs assessment and organizational plan for 2017 Festival volunteers.
· Meet regularly with JazzEast management, staff and other coordinators prior to the Festival to prepare budgets and address logistical issues.
· Identify and train volunteers for leadership and coordination roles.
· Review the volunteer management online system and make any necessary updates to the software database that tracks volunteers, and records skills, performance and availability.
· Be the primary liaison with and staff support for Volunteer Coordinators and all volunteer administration.
· Working with the Executive Director, to ensure that Festival Coordinators identify and fill volunteer needs on a timely basis.
· Develop job description, tasks/responsibilities and reporting relationships for volunteer positions
· Work with the marketing manager and staff to recruit all necessary volunteers, including Coordinators, for the 2017 festival.
· Schedule volunteers into shift work for Festival activities, based on volunteer skills and availability and festival and staff needs and priorities.
· Input volunteer files and track volunteer hours, numbers, assignments and schedules.
· Recruit volunteers as part of a comprehensive volunteer recruitment strategy, through promotion, community events and advertising in local media and social media outlets and contact with appropriate groups and associations
· Organize and lead the volunteer orientation event
· Act as a resource for all volunteers for the 2017 Halifax Jazz Festival and ensure that volunteer needs are met
· Provide opportunities for Volunteer feedback and suggestions.
· Develops a system of volunteer recognition and long term retention strategies.
· Working with a team of board members, organize and attend he volunteer appreciation party following the festival.
· Coordinate and keep volunteers properly informed through orientation meetings, group sessions, manuals, emails, phone calls, newsletters and other social media.
· Create a manual for volunteer use that provides information about policies and procedures, codes of conduct,
· secure volunteer specific sponsorships, for example, Metro Transit and Barrington Street Superstore and securing space for the volunteer orientation event and the volunteer appreciation party.
· Provide regular reports to the Executive Director and/or attend Board meetings at the request of the Board.
· Provide volunteer statistics for internal and grant reporting and summary reviews of volunteer performance post Festival for planning purpose
· Prepare a final report detailing all aspects of the volunteer program to be delivered to the Executive Director immediately after the Festival.
· 1-3 years related work and/or management experience
· Related Festival working experience
· Excellent spoken and written communication skills
· Must be flexible, work well independently and as a team.
· Must be comfortable working with various types of technology including Festival management software, websites, and with social media.
· Must possess a valid driver’s licence
· exceptional interpersonal and conflict management skills
· the ability to plan quickly and effectively, coupled with a willingness to adapt to changes that are thrust upon you unexpectedly
· excellent time and personal management skills
· Dynamic, outgoing personality
· Ease in public speaking
· Ability to develop and maintain strong interpersonal relationships (e.g. with JazzEast's sponsors, partners, staff and volunteers)
· Solid Leadership skills to manage different teams throughout the Festival process. (before and during the festival)
· the ability to manage the competing demands and expectations of multiple stakeholders
· a flexible attitude blended with the ability to remain calm and solve problems quickly under pressure
· the ability to work collaboratively with other staff and/or volunteers on a variety of projects
· experience with developing and managing budgets of various sizes
· Fun and creative style
Interested applicants, please contact:
Andrea Dawson Thomas, JazzEast interim Executive Director at: email@example.com