2018 JOB POSTINGS
Contract Postion: January 22 – December 31 2018 (with opportunity for annual renewal)
Time Commitment Part-time (0.4 FTE) Actual schedule to be determined. Flexibility is required, including evenings and weekends. Time committment will increase in the months leading up to the TD Halifax Jazz Festival.
Jazzeast’s mandate runs from the promotion and presentation of the annual TD Halifax Jazz festival, to soft-seat concerts, club shows and educational workshops (such as the renowned Creative Music Workshop). We develop opportunities for amateur musicians, established local artists and the local "jazz aristocracy". We bring renowned performers from many parts of the world to a city that doesn't always find itself naturally on the maps for touring artists. In brief, we think jazz is important to the culture which we'd like to have, and we want to make sure that kind of culture is strong in Halifax, where we love to live.
Located in Halifax and reporting to the Executive Director (ED), the Festival Manager will manage JazzEast’s annual event calendar and is primarily responsible for artist relations, venue management, sponsorship fulfillment, grant writing and reporting, program guide production management and other administrative requirements to support the TD Halifax Jazz Festival and its year-round initiatives. Work schedule will be based on the annual event schedule with the busiest period between April and July in support of the Halifax Jazz Festival taking place July 11 -15, 2018.
- Manage annual critical path to ensure all deadlines and deliverables are met
- Coordinate artist hospitality, transportation and accommodation
- Oversee all Front of House activities including providing training and supervision to staff and volunteers;
- Support sponsorship team including contracting, benefit tracking, communications and other fulfillments
- Oversee details of pageantry & décor for all festival venues
- Oversee the production of the Festival Program
- Work with ED to prepare funding applications and assist with project reporting and evaluation
- Provide other administrative support to ED where required
- Assist staff with organizing year-round events including concerts, workshops and annual fundraisers
- 2-5 years related work and/or management experience
- Related experience with large scale music festivals
- Experience with grant writing and reporting
- Minimum 2 year’s experience in project management
- Valid Driver’s License
- Must be able to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends.
- Some travel may be required.
- Excellent spoken and written communication skills
- Must be flexible, work well independently and as a team.
- Exceptional interpersonal and conflict management skills
- The ability to plan quickly and effectively, coupled with a willingness to adapt to changes that are thrust upon you unexpectedly
- Dynamic, outgoing personality
- Ability to develop and maintain strong interpersonal
- Solid Leadership skills
- Ability to manage the competing demands and expectations of multiple stakeholders
- Flexible attitude blended with the ability to remain calm and solve problems quickly under pressure
- Ability to work collaboratively with other staff and/or volunteers on a variety of projects
- Fun and creative style
About Halifax Jazz Festival:
The TD Halifax Jazz Festival, formerly known as the Atlantic Jazz Festival, is the oldest jazz festival and largest summer festival in Atlantic Canada. Designated a Hallmark Event by the Halifax Regional Municipality, the festival attracts up to 55,000 visitors, involves 450 volunteers and employs over 350 local musicians.
Interested applicants, please submit a resume and cover letter to the attention of:
Andrea Dawson Thomas, JazzEast Executive Director at: email@example.com
Deadline to apply Thursday January 11 at 4pm AST
Download as word doc